The Trail Went Cold – Episode 30 – Kurt Sova

October 23, 1981. Newburgh Heights, Ohio. 17-year old Kurt Sova goes out to spend the evening with friends, but does not return home. When Kurt’s parents go searching for him, they learn that he vanished after getting drunk at a party. Five days after his disappearance, Kurt’s body is discovered in a ravine, but the coroner’s office cannot figure out his exact cause of death and determine that he died only a day or two before he was found. The confusion is heightened by suspicious behavior from the host of the party, an unexplained eyewitness sighting of Kurt, and a mysterious stranger who accurately predicted the discovery of Kurt’s body two days beforehand. By popular demand, this week’s episode of “The Trail Went Cold” will be chronicling one of the most memorable cases ever featured on “Unsolved Mysteries”

Additional Reading:

“The Plain Dealer” (October 27, 1991)

Click here to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes.

Click here to listen to the podcast on Stitcher.

Click here to subscribe to the podcast on Google Play Music.

The Trail Went Cold is produced and edited by Magill Foote.

All music is composed by Vince Nitro.

2 thoughts on “The Trail Went Cold – Episode 30 – Kurt Sova

  • Everclear-190–how could you quaff a bottle of that and have a BAL of only .011? One wonders about the post-mortem analysis. I would think that a whole bottle of E190 could come close to a lethal dose, depending on the size of the bottle. (Though banning it is silly–you can still easily get enough alcohol to end up dead, even if it is diluted; there have been fatalities from beer.)

    Try not to say “exasperate” when you mean “exacerbate!”

  • They held a CrowdSolve event in January of 2020 bringing 100 experts and random true crime buffs in to collectively work on several cases, including Kurt Sova’s. Nothing has come of it so far, but people who attended said “they moved the needle on it a bit”.

    I can’t believe no one has ever asked this (well, with that lead investigator maybe I can…look up why Robert Carras was eventually arrested himself) — Was the yellow t-shirt that he was found dead in the same shirt he was wearing when he went missing 5 days earlier? If not, that could mean something…like he had planned to run away and brought clothes with him, or he acquired it during those 3-4 days he was still alive, which could also indicate intent to not return home. Either way, I think Robin’s deductions are on point here. The case was bungled badly from the start by a frighteningly corrupt and lazy police force. The most likely scenario is he fell unconscious at the party, and was kept there at the apt. in panic until he expired and then they ditched his body in the ravine. Victim of an unsavory crowd and an apathetic police force who didn’t care enough to investigate as they should.

Leave a Reply